Complete applications will be added to the current waiting list on a first come, first serve basis, or by the earliest postmark.
To qualify you must have a verifiable disability and agree to live in Eaton County. Please call HSMM’s office at (517) 541-1180 with any questions.
Applications and Disability Verification Forms will be available beginning 8:30am Monday April 9th, 2018 until 5:00p.m. Friday April 13, 2018.
Applications must be returned to HSMM no later than 5:00 p.m. Tuesday May 1, 2018
Disability Verfication Forms must be returned to HSMM no later than 5:00 p.m. Friday May 18th, 2018
Applications and Disability Verification Forms returned to HSMM via the U.S. Post Office will not be accepted if the postmark is later than the deadlines given above.
Housing Services Mid Michigan was awarded 75 vouchers by the office of Housing and Urban Development specifically for persons with verifiable disabilities. Referred to as Housing Choice Mainstream Vouchers, these vouchers are used to serve persons with disabilities who reside in Eaton County.
Participants in this program pay 30% of their monthly income toward rent and utility payments. This grant then pays the difference directly to the landlord based on Fair Market Rent limitations and rent reasonableness. HSMM provides full case management to participants and supports landlords.
- To conduct your business as usual
- To screen applicants
- To maintain a safe living environment
- To report any changes to the HSMM voucher case manager
- To comply with the HAP contract and Tenancy Addendum
- Supply true and complete required information
- To be and remain drug free, with no criminal activity
- To pay their portion of the rent on time
- To maintain a clean and safe living environment
- To promptly inform the landlord and HSMM of any intent to vacate/move
- To report all changes in income or family composition to the HSMM voucher case manager
- The unit must comply with Housing Quality Standards set forth by HUD
- The unit must have sanitary facilities and adequate space for food storage, preparation and disposal.
- There must be smoke detectors
- The unit must be free from lead based paint
- It must be inspected yearly or annually by the voucher program case manager
- The unit must be in Eaton County
- Prompt payment of rent
- Guaranteed payment – the program guarantees on-time payment even if the renter has a history of bad or slow credit payments
- Security – The tenant will be screened by you and HSMM
- Long-term income without continuous turnover of tenants
- The development of a long-term relationship. Section 8 vouchers do not expire. Landlords will be able to keep their units rented as long as the landlord/tenant relationship is mutually beneficial
- Only pay approximately 30% of your monthly income toward your rent and utilities
- Full-service, prompt, case management to help solve problems including landlord and tenant disputes
- The support of the HSMM staff in various aspects of renting and life skills
- Complete a application form and submit it to Housing Services with proof of disability either from your doctor or proof of SSI payments
- After receipt of a completed application, the Section 8 Coordinator will place your name on a waiting list. It may take 2 to 4 years to receive a Housing Choice Voucher.
- Be sure to update your information with Housing Services if you move or change your telephone number. If HSMM can not reach you, your name will be removed from the waiting list. HSMM will attempt to contact you at least every 12 months to see if you are still interested in receiving a voucher. You must respond to this inquiry to remain on the waiting list.
Other Agencies that administer Section 8 Vouchers in the Eaton County Area include:
Potterville Housing Commission – 517-645-7076
Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) – 517-373-9344
Lansing Housing Commission – 517-487-6550